Friday, August 01, 2008

Reality Check

Spencer came home from work this week with news of the family business in todays economy... Although they are keeping relatively busy, they are taking jobs at the expense of losing profit. Material costs are rising too fast... Don't know how long they can keep this up... Also, Spencer's brother will be leaving soon and that leaves just Spencer and his dad to install and sell.

As many of you know, I work from home. It has been such a blessing for our family! However, I just got paid for May this week. That's right! My boss was going on three months behind with the payroll... I am on vacation from today until I am caught up. So excited, it will be much easier to think clearly without worrying about work!

...so, we are exploring our options...

We had a realtor come over last night. We are fortunte to live in an area that is still doing okay. We are also incredibly blessed that we have avoided too much debt over the years. We have an enormous amount of equity in our home. That could save our bacon!

But still, the idea actually freaks me out! As much as I have tried to convince Spencer randomly over the years that we should sell our home and build again, the reality of actually moving is overwhelming. We've been in our home for almost 12 years now. I really love where I'm at!! You can't ask for better neighbors or ward family! Besides, we wouldn't be upgrading into a new build. This would be about sacrifice and creating a financially stable environment for our family... We might not have to downgrade necessarily, but we will either sacrifice in the location catagory or get into an older, slightly smaller home.

Right now I should be creating a list of things we would need to do around the house to get it show ready. We haven't actually decided what we are doing yet, but creating lists is how we are approaching things at this point. We did the pro/cons list on Wednesday. It really helps to see things on paper...

We do have options. We are not in a "do or die" desparate situation--yet. We might even end up staying here to weather the storm... We are going to wear out our knees (and make a lot of lists) over the next couple of days and weeks...

To be continued...

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Your neighbors down the street are wearing out their knees too. Brian just took a hefty pay cut because of the economy....tough times ahead. Thank goodness we have the gospel.

Kirsten said...

Marshall called and said that he had spoken to Spencer earlier. I hope everything works out for you guys. I've been so jealous that you've been able to stay in one place so long. Let us know what we can do to help. Samantha is begging for a play date/ sleepover with Hanna. We'll have to see when something can be worked out. Hopefully soon we will be living close by.

HOWARD'S said...

I would hate fr you guys to have to leave your home but I would also like to vote for a move by us! ;)

~Our Rockabilly Army Lives~ said...

Good luck Tam. We are thinking about you guys. We hope to see you when we drive through on the way to Arizona. If we miss you then though, jon will be bringing the boys up to yous Mom's for Thanksgiving.

Alisa said...

I was just checking in on your blog. I feel for your uneasiness during this reality check. It is a very difficult decision to make. We've had a HUMONGOUS wake-up call during our moving/building experience. We are still fighting our builders and are currently working with an attorney. We had no choice. We can't make our house payment, no one will work with us, we can't refinance because of the deed/lien the builders have against our home, and the builders think we owe them hundreds of thousand of $$$ more with no invoices to prove it. In fact, we may have them on several counts of fraud. That's where the attorney comes in. In the meantime, my family has suffered greatly. We don't understand why we felt so strongly about moving, only to have to go through this for almost a year and a half, with no resolve nearing. Be careful, who you trust in the building/real-estate "world". We have been taken advantage of so much. Be smart in your choices. Bigger is not always better, but location is HUGE! Pick and area where you feel your family will be best. We miss our old neighbors. We don't have that "utopia" feeling where we are now. Good luck. We'll keep you in our prayers. You'll do what's right for you and your family.