30 Years old...The year was 1979.

I was 5 years old and lived in sunny Florida. I was in Kindergarten. I loved going to school and I loved my teacher, Mrs. Mirabole. Life was just good and simple. I loved to learn my ABC's from the Letter People on PBS. My favorite things to do were: play outside, go swimming, catch lizards, frogs, and locusts, dance on the coffee table, play with dolls, and being with my family.
20 years ago...The year was 1989.
I was 15 years old and a sophomore at Bellevue East High School in Nebraska(can you pick me out? I'm one of the blonds with the vertical lift bangs!). What a fun year that was!! I was a cheerleader on the JV squad, so basically my life at that time consisted of: Early morning Seminary, school, cheer practice, games, Young Womens, and friends, friends, friends! I was surrounded by good friends who were a positive influence on me--what a blessing! And of course, I was boy crazy! My best friend, Kori (Bottom row, second from left), was so patient with me... Thank you! I loved life! However, I was morbidly embarrased by my family...sorry, I have sense mended my ways and am very proud to be part of such a great family!
15 years ago...The year was 1994.

I was attending Utah State University and transferred to BYU with my room-mate, Leslie in the fall. This is the year that I met the love of my life, Spencer! He loves to tell the story of how we met! I was living with my Oma & Opa at the time. I went to a church dance with Leslie. Spencer was there and we went up to him because he looked like he could be related to a girl we went to school with at Utah State. However, the first words out of my mouth were, "You look like a girl we know!" Well, he didn't know how to take that one! Let's just say it was a good ice breaker and he got to know the real me right away--always sticking my foot in my mouth!
10 years ago...The year was 1999.

I gave birth to our second child and we named him Jared Thomas. Jared, after Spencer's favorite missionary companion. And Thomas for the middle name, because that is Spencer's middle name. This is also the year that I said goodby to carefree, easy living! My life has been crazy ever since--and that is good... After having Hanna (the easiest child on the planet!), Jared was quite an adjustment. He has kept me humble and grateful and has taught me what I am capable of, I am such a better person for being his mom! Love you soooo much Jared!!
5 years ago...The year was 2004.

I now have three children and am busy busy busy! I am loving every stage that the kids are in--it's so hard to do sometimes! This is a picture of me and the kids on a hike in the Provo Canyon. I remember being a nervous wreck because we were camping at Nunns Park right along the Provo River and I was so worried that Jared would wander away and drown in the river! It ended up being such a fun time!
3 Years ago...The year was 2006
I have a silly family! My kids are growing up so fast! I love this picture, it's so crazy. We did the self portrait thing for our family picture in 2006. We had to take drastic measures to get the kids to cooperate... I wish we would have used this one to send with the Christmas cards that year. Ya know, If I was good, I would also be able to look back at my journal to see what life was like for me that year, but I don't write in my journal. So sad. I just know that I was busy raising my family, being super taxi mom, and working at home as an abstractor for a Title company.
1 year ago...The year was 2008

2008 is hands down the craziest, hardest year of my life! I pulled Jared out of school to homeschool him. I was heavily involved in scouts. There were about 9 extracurricular activities going on simultainiously. School changes for everyone. Having to stop working at home because my boss couldn't afford to pay me anymore. Feeling the uncertainty of the future and pressures of the ecomomy, putting our house up for sale, taking it off the market, numerous challenges and trials, and on and on and on...Phew! But despite it all, I feel positive. Life's what you make it, so let's make it right! (I sang that as I typed in Hanna Montana style!) It is also the year the I've gotten our food storage in order and have grown and developed more than I thought possible. I love deeper and stronger, am more committed to things that matter, and am overwhelmed with gratitude for EVERYTHING!
At Akela's Council(Cub Scout Leadership training Camp), we made "doodles" that were to represent who we are. I had three things. Faith. Freedom. Family. I have dubbed them my theme for the year!
(I cut and pasted this from an email I wrote to my family at Thanksgiving time in regards to what I am thankful for...)
"These three things are the reason I do the things I do, am the person that I am, and can strive to be the person I want to become. They are the motivating factors in my life. These are the things that I live for, am willing to sacrifice all for, and die for...
Faith. "Within the church of Jesus Christ are to be found the teachings and plans by which our homes can be kept safe." This is a quote I have on my fridge, don't remember where it came from... How greatful I am to have a testimony of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ! I am greatful to know that I am a Child of God and that my life has purpose. I am so greatful for opportunities that I have to strenthen my testimony and be strengthened by others. I am so greatful for the attoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ that makes up for when I fall so short... I am so greatful that I contunue to learn and understand "line upon line." I am greatful for the hope and peace that I feel in these terrible times knowing that God IS in charge, and no matter what, all things will give us experience and be for our good. I am greatful for a living prophet that leads and guides us. I pray that we will all dig into our spiritual reserve when we are faced with trails and remember to whom we can turn to.
Family. I have been so overly blessed!!! I was born to goodly parents. I have great siblings! I have had a good life. I somehow ended up with a great man who shares the same goals as I(and that might be about all that we have in common:)...). I have three heathy, happy, beautiful children. I have great extended family. I have had choice friends whom I consider close enough to be family. What a miricle it all is! I pray that we will all be a strength and a comfort and good examples to one another. I pray that we will be an Eternal Family! As mom always says, "Remember who you are!" I love each one of you so much!
Freedom. I weep at the thought of what it must have been like for those who have preceeded me. The sacrifices they have made for my comfort... The stories I have heard in History lessons, church, personal reading... Each story has seared my heart with gratitude and pride. I love this country. I know it is a choice land. Unfortunatelly, I feel that it is not too far distant that we will see the price paid for people forgetting... This country is rippening for destruction. God bless America, land that I love. Thank you Jon for your sacrifices Jon! I will not forget!"
Today! January 7, 2009

I am 34 1/2-years-old! I am almost closer to fourty than thirty-years-old. Weird. This new year is bringing about more change! I have actually had the time to do this blog today because it is the first day that ALL of my children are in school! And one of the things on my to-do list is to catch up on the good 'ol blog!
This change came about rather suddenly. All through Christmas break, Hanna was begging and pleading with me to do home-school with her. There was no way I could do her and Jared! She has had a challenging time at the Center for Accelerated suddies. There are only about 5 girls in the entire 6th grade, it is very competitive and intence. And of course, harder. Sunday night, Spencer was in her room for 45 minutes saying "good-night." When he came out, he and I had another long talk and decided it was time to send her back to regular school. We didn't tell her until I picked her up from school on Monday. Her responce was completely unexpected! She started crying, saying thank you profusely and giving non-stop hugs, and telling us how much she loved us--for about an hour. The funny thing is that by bedtime, she was unsure if that is what she really wanted-now that she could actually switch. We counciled her to make a pro/com list, make a decision and then pray about it. By the morning, she knew what she needed to do...
Sunday night, we also talked about Jared. It just felt like this would be a good time to transition him back to public school, as well. Jared has made great progress, although he is still behind for his age. After discussing his options with him, we decided to put him back into third grade where he would be able to keep up and have acedemic success. I pray his classmates will be kind to him and not give him a hard time about repeating 3rd grade! That is my biggest fear... But I am confident that he can succeed there! And if holding him back doesn't work out, we will readjust in the fall.
Anyway, so here I am in the blissful quiet of my home. Uninterupted. I have a mile-long list of the things that I want to accomplish before I go looking for a job. I need to help bring home some much needed income that has been lacking since August...
Sorry that is such a long post... I am still not entirely caught up with my blogging... I'll save it for another day...
1 comment:
Friends, are you reading my blog? Nobody leaves comments anymore --accept people I don't know. Why would you comment on somebody's blog when you don't know them? I need comments from my friends...
Post a Comment