Sunday, September 25, 2011

Eleven years ago today

Eleven years ago today, I got the call. It was a call I was expecting. My dad had passed away.

My tears were full of relief for the end of suffering. Full of sorrow for my mother's loss of her husband. Full of my own selfish sorrows that I would never see him again. Full of gratitude for my testimony of our Heavenly Father's plan of happiness.

We had gone to Oklahoma for my brother Alen's wedding in April of 2000. When we got home, my mom called to tell me that they had gotten the test results back -- it was Metastatic Melanoma Skin cancer.

I saw my dad for the last time in July of that year. My family came to Utah for an emergency family reunion. He was going downhill fast. He was in a wheelchair and had an oxygen tank. Not easy to see him like that--he was only 51. I was able to do one last wonderful thing with him while he was here. I had the priveledge of taking him to the Stadium of Fire to see one of his all time favs perform--Alabama! I loved watching him sing along to the songs he knew so well. I remember running down the street back to the car to get him out of the smoke from the fireworks. We had a great night! He was smiling and happy. I think he might have even forgotten about the pain he was in for a little bit.

My handsome dad when he was young.

Before he left, I asked him on the video recorder what he wanted his grandkids to know. Do you know what he said? Three simple words filled with emotion. "the gospel's true." Thanks for your legacy of faith, daddy! I love you and miss you so much! But, I know it's true, too! So, it's not really goodbye, but till we meet again!

3 comments:

Chastina said...

What a great way to share his testimony with his grandkids!

Kirsten said...

That makes me want to cry. What a wonderful legacy for him to leave to his children and grandchildren. And I love the family pic. It's nice to see someone else looking a little short as their kids catch up to them.

Melissa said...

Beautiful! Knowing that it's true makes all the difference! Love you!