




We have been doing home school for a little over a week now. We just got the materials and curriculum on Tuesday. I was completely overwhelmed when we got everything. It is all so new, and trying to figure it all out in not even a day so that I could give Jared his lessons was a challenge. And on top of that, I was flooded with work, and Hanna had piano. Yesterday went much smoother, I had planned everything the night before! We have had our good moments and not so good... Math turns into a sob session just about every time...
The gal that I Visit Teach is a retired teacher and she gave me a book about teaching children to read. It has completely changed my approach. I have always told Jared to sound things out. I can see now that you can not teach a child to read by phonics alone! Sounding things out only works half of the time! I need to be teaching Jared to use other clues to help, too.
So far, I think Jared's favorite part of home school has been P.E. We have taken a walk on the river trail; and yesterday, we got a ton of snow, so we had fun in the snow for an hour (as you can see by the pictures)!
Even though I have had my discouraging moments, I still know this is what I need to be doing. Hopefully in a month or so, I will be running like clockwork!
6 comments:
you are tougher than I am! I don't think I could do home school...man I cherish the time I get while they are at school and I can see the house clean for a few hours at a time..lol...you go girl!
I know it isn't easy but I really admire you for being pro-active in Jared's education. I complain because I have to help them study spelling words! By the way, Scott can't stop talking about Owen. He had so much fun when we were down for Thanksgiving. He keeps saying he wants to move to Utah so he can play with Owen, his best friend.
That snow looks like so much fun! We don't get snow like that here. Man, I really want to come visit so my girls can play in it and build tunnels and snowmen!
Just thinking about homeschooling sounds exhausting to me. You're awesome! I bet you have a great support group out there though. Are you a part of a group?
Sounds like you are doing great with the homeschooling! It always takes us a week or two to get into the swing of things. It does get better! Oh, and I can totally relate to math sob sessions! Alex and I have had our moments, but we have learned and grown so much together!
I love the snow pictures! My kids are loving it here too, but I sure wish I liked it. I think you are going to be an awesome homeschool teacher. You have WAY more patience than I do and are so creative.
Good luck with the homeschooling. I don't know if I could do it either (and I taught school professionally). It's something about teaching my own children that creates a challenge. However, if it came right down to it...and I realized they weren't getting the help they needed from school, I'd do it in a heartbeat. You love 'em too much to see them fail.
Post a Comment