Thursday, November 02, 2006

Happy Halloween!

How was your Halloween? Our's was full of fun and magic and trauma-as always!

This year, we finally told Jared that he could be a Clone Trooper. On one condition-he can only try it on once when it comes and then wait until Halloween to get it out again. See, we have trauma with Jared's costume EVERY year!!! It really takes the fun out of it! We go thru the time and effort and expense with him to either make or pick out a costume. And come Halloween night, he refuses to wear what has been planned! We have many pictures of Halloween night with a tearful Jared! So, we ordered costumes for the boys from Costume Express. So expensive! But Jared has wanted to be a Clone Trooper for at least three years now and we have been able to choose something more affordable and doable... But I figured that if they could wear them for at least three years, it would be worth it... Well, we ordered them a month ago. When they came, Owen's was SOOOO BIG there was no way I could alter it due to the molded rubber stuff all over the costume. Jared's was soooo small. So much for thinking ahead...

The second attempt at Owen's costume was to go to Target. He picked out a red Power Ranger. He tried it on when we got home, but the darn muscles were uncomfortable and he didn't even finish putting it on. But he was soooo dang cute! Spencer and I were able (or so we thought) to convince Owen the the muscles were sooo cool! But come the day of preschool when they get to wear thier costume--guess who refuses to put on his costume!!! Arrggh! So, Owen went to preschool in a spider t-shirt and jeans. So, I spent my 2 hours returning the muscle costume. I was lucky enough to find the LAST non-muscled red pOwer Ranger costume!! Yipee!! Successful mission!

I asked Spencer to take Jared costume shopping to help ease his disappointment of not being a clone trooper. Well, maybe not the best idea... Spencer took Jared to Taylor Maid and spent about $50! on a "helmet", sword and fake wounds! I altered Jared's Hercles costume from when he was about four to fit him again and he was a gladiator. Well, he did look awesome. I just hope that we get a lot of use out of that stuff!

Hanna wanted to be a cowgirl this year. She saw a darling outfit in the Costume Express catalog. Only, that would have cost almost $200 to get everything to go with it. Of course, I made hers! We found the PERFECT fabric: a silky stripe with glittery paislies on it for the top and a nice stiff pink solid for the chaps. We found a hat at the $1 store and boots at DI. Her costumes are always such a joy to put together! She looks sooo cute it in!

Spencer always puts on his matted ugly wig and old 80's rock band shirt and looks like Howard Stern--very scary! Too bad I never seem to get a picture of it... I will need to make a point to do that next year...

Even though Pat said she was not doing an open house (for those of you who do not know, my mother-in-law is the queen of holiday magic! She always has a spread to feed the masses and the most incredible decorations!), we went over anyway. Of course, she can't control herself, and there is plenty of food, fun and magic! Trick-or-treating can't be beat in her neighborhood, either! They give out king size candy bars and lots of other yummy treats!

Owen asked me yesterday, "when is Halloween again?" Only 364 days away! Happy Halloween!

By the way... Jared brought home pumkin seeds from school last year. We planted them and got this big huge pumkin that Jared is proudly displaying! He carved it all by himself! So fun!

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Ah, the joys of children! Christian is so similar when it comes to costumes. He was so ambivalent about what he wanted when we went to choose it. Then, in the parking lot after leaving Walmart with the batman costume he told me he didn't want to be it after all! I was not thrilled with that comment and told him we could return it then and skip trick-or-treating if he didn't want to wear it cheerfully. He chose to wear it, though he wasn't 100% cooperative with picture taking.

Kirsten said...

I love the costumes. It's too bad that these things are so expensive. One more reason for me to not have more children!

Kori said...

Wow! Awesome job on the costumes! Hannah's is really pretty! Thanks for sharing!